Serving a potent relish today, beef jerky credits its discovery to the Native American descendants. When the weather was cold and meat was scarce to get, it was then that this meat, which was previously preserved, provided them nourishment.
Nowadays, you could view a great change in the preservation techniques by the people. Beef jerky producers rub salt and spices on it to offer it an appetizing flavor. However, you might be wrong if you consider the product to be impotent from the health point of view.
Beef jerky is a healthy product to consume (much healthier than the fatty and sugary foods) and this has been proved by various health researches too. Let us look at some of the nutrients that consuming beef jerky could provide our body:
· Fats: Fat is one of the essential requirements of the body and it is requisite to reduce inflammation and support brain health. If you were to take an ounce of beef jerky, it could contain about 116 calories. Jerky may also consist of saturated fats which are supporters of cardiovascular health.
· Proteins: As per the recommendations, human males require about 56 grams and females require about 46 grams of proteins every day. Against this, an ounce of beef jerky is enough to provide about 9.4 gram of protein and this could fulfill much of your daily requirements. Proteins get broken into amino acids, which serve as the building blocks of the body.
· Zinc: The mineral zinc has several functions to perform, including securing the immune health and cell division assistance etc. With an ounce of beef jerky, you could expect to get about 2.3 mg of zinc, which serves 17 percent of your recommended daily requirement. Lesser zinc in body may also lead to slower wound-healing process.
· Carbohydrates: Beef jerky contains a negligible portion of carbohydrates, but if you order beef jerky online, you could find it in flavors that contain a bit of carbohydrate too. Normally, beef jerky is a low-carbohydrate product that serves efficient even for the diabetic individuals.
· Sodium: Beef jerky contains a whopping content of sodium and an ounce of its portion may provide you as much as 590 mg of the mineral. Sodium offers fluid retention properties to the body, but could be dangerous in a greater content when you possess high blood pressure of kidney-related diseases.
These are some of the vital nutrients that make up beef jerky to benefit the human body. Human beings have realized these and this is why beef jerky wholesale and retail traders are on a boom these days.
Though, the beef that contains hormones or antibiotics is also not a hidden aspect and this has forced people to get grass fed biltong or jerky, which is obtained out of grass fed beef. You might value taste, but it is inconsiderable when you get it at the cost of your health.